Best MIG Welders
What are the Best MIG Welders?
MIG welding has become the most popular type of welding. This means there are plenty of MIG welders to choose from if this is your preferred welding method. In addition, the MIG welding process is reasonably easy to learn, produces good quality welds, and buying a quality MIG welder is relatively inexpensive.
When purchasing a MIG Welder there are some things to consider before making your final decision. First, you have to consider the type of metal you weld, if this is a hobby or work, and the running costs. Then, of course, there is also your budget to consider. MIG welders can be as cheap as $200, or you can pay over $2,000 for professional welding equipment. Then there is a range of good quality welders in between.
This article has reviews of the top seven MIG welders. For each welding machine, you will learn the pros and cons of each. Additionally, a list of the unit’s best features will help you make an informed choice.
The Top Seven MIG Welders — Top Picks and Reviews
1. Forney Easy Weld 261 140 FC-i MIG Welder
The Forney Easy Weld is one of the best MIG welders for use at home or in the garage. The beauty of this welder is the flux-core inverter technology that maximizes performance without increasing weight. The welder comes with an 8-foot arc gun and an 8-foot grounding lead with clamp. The MIG gun holds 10 lb. wire spools. You also get an impressive output power of 140 amps from 120 volts.
It’s important to note that the Forney Easy Weld is based on flux-cored welding, not true MIG welding. Therefore, you can’t use this welder to weld aluminum or stainless steel. However, the welder delivers MIG superior welding on steel. And at under $300, there is no other welder like it in its class.
- Base material thickness: Weld metal thickness up to 1/4-inch
- Arc output: 140 amps
- Duty cycle: 30%
- Variable wire spool feed control
- Lightweight and portable MIG welder
- Built-in fan
- Welds down to 24-gauge steel (1/40 th of an inch)
- Flux-core input is 120V
- Excellent performance for the price
- Only flux-core welding
- You can only run soft wire with the welder
Reason to buy this welder: If you are a DIY welding enthusiast, this is an excellent welder for MIG welding.
2. 2021 Everlast PowerMIG 200
The Everlast PowerMig 200 is a 3-in-1 welding machine suitable for MIG, flux core, and stick welding. This all-around welder produces 200 amps, powerful enough to deliver a smooth weld on one pass on thick steel. The welder features a gas regulator to protect the weld pool, burn back control, and a low-spatter arc control system. Additionally, there is a clear digital display showing voltage and wire speed.
One of the excellent features of the Everlast PowerMig welding unit is that you can connect gas. This requires buying a connector block. However, you can also expand the welder’s capabilities to TIG welding.
- Base material thickness: Up to 7/16-inch in 240V mode
- Arc output: Up to 200 amps
- Duty cycle: 35%
- Digital IGBT inverter
- Automatic pre-flow and post-flow control improves weld quality
- Use for MIG, stick, flux-core, and TIG welding
- Automatic wire length reset
- Dual voltage
- The regulator could be better quality
- Only welds in DC mode
3. Hobart 500553 Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder
Viewed by many as the best overall MIG welder, the Hobart Handler 210 delivers superior welding at a wide range of amperage settings. In addition, this welder gives you complete control when welding — from wire spool speed to amp settings. Many users, including beginners, find the Hobart MIG welder easy to use. Additionally, there is minimal spatter with this machine, which is rare with MIG welders.
- Base material thickness: 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch
- Arc output: 210 amps
- Duty cycle: 20%
- Excellent value for money and high-end performance
- Ideal for setting on a stationary workbench
- Straightforward to use
- Suitable for the beginner welder and professional
- High-quality, robust build
- Ideal for welding thicker metals
- Receives consistently high reviews online
- Too bulky to be transportable
Reason to buy this welder: This MIG welder is recommended for professionals who want a value-for-money welder or beginners who want to learn on a high-quality welder.
4. LOTOS MIG 175 AMP MIG Welder
The LOTOS MIG welder is an excellent machine for welding various metals, including aluminum and stainless steel. One nice feature of the unit is an aluminum spool gun to feed soft aluminum wire. You also get a built-in gas solenoid valve along with a dual-gauge regulator. As an extra safety feature, the wire is kept electrically cold until you pull the trigger.
- Base material thickness: 3/8-inch mild steel
- Arc output: 25 – 210 amps
- Duty cycle: 30%
- Produces clean welds with little spatter
- Aluminum spool gun included
- Excellent value for money
- Easy to use for beginners
- Internal cooling improves welding output
- Suitable for stainless steel
- MIG gun could be better quality
Reason to buy this welder: This LOTOS MIG is recommended for serious welders who want to do high-quality welding at home.
5. SUNGOLDPOWER MIG Welder 140A
The SUNGOLDPOWER is one of the cheapest MIG welders online for under $200. Despite its low cost, the welder makes tidy welds thanks to its impressive 140 amps. Welding hobbyists like that the MIG welder is truly portable, small in size, and tackles various repair jobs. In addition, the welder features IGBT inverter technology, gasless flux welding, and automatic wire feed.
The MIG welder comes with various accessories, including a welding mask, flux-cored wire, and cleaning equipment. You can use this for welding stainless steel, mild steel, carbon steel, and iron.
- Base material thickness: 1/2-inch to 3/8-inch
- Arc output: Up to 140 amps
- Duty cycle: 60%
- Cheap welder for MIG welding
- Delivers hot welds for the amperage range
- Ideal for occasional welding projects and minor repairs
- Dual voltage (includes 220V adaptor)
- Welding helmet and brush included
- Suitable for beginners and welding hobbyists
- The cables are very short
- Not suitable for everyday welding
Reason to buy this welder: If you want a quality MIG welder that delivers a clean weld for under $200, then this one would be worth a look.
6. ESAB Rebel EMP215IC Dual Voltage Professional MIG TIG Stick Welder
The ESAB Rebel is one of the best MIG welders for professionals who require tidy welds from a synergic machine. The beauty of the ESAB MIG welding machine is that it has equipment for TIG, stick, and MIG welding. It’s a multi-process machine for all types of arc welding. Additionally, the internal computer adapts to your welding techniques to ensure you consistently deliver high-quality welds.
One of the reasons to consider buying the ESAB 215IC is that all the necessary gadgets come “out-of-the-box.” This means that if you do a variety of welding, this model is a one-stop purchase. In addition, the 240 amps will handle the toughest of welding jobs. However, all its top features come at a price, as this is the most expensive welder on our review.
- Base material thickness: 3/8-inch steel
- Arc output: 240 amps
- Duty cycle: Up to 40% depending on the voltage
- Intelligent technology learns and adjusts to your welding style
- True multi-process welder
- It comes complete with a MIG gun and TIG welding gun
- 2T/4T modes save you having to hold the trigger for extended periods
- Infinitely adjustable wire speed and heat settings
- Large TFT screen
- Three-year warranty
- It only works on DC power
Reason to buy this welder: This MIG welder delivers the best welding experience for professionals who weld daily and require quality welds.
7. HITBOX 4-in-1 MIG Welder 200Amp Inverter MIG ARC Lift
The Hitbox MIG welder is an affordable unit if you want to perform various types of welds. This welder has a lot on offer, including 200-amp output, synergic presets, and high duty cycle. The reasonably priced welder facilitates MIG, ARC, LIFT, and TIG welding. Furthermore, it can perform gas and gasless flux-core welding. The good news is that all necessary accessories are included.
From online user reviews, the Hitbox 4-in-1 machine is a highly-regarded MIG welder. Compared to other synergic welders, it has an excellent price point, delivers quality welds, and deals with various thicknesses and types of metals. However, the range of functions and low cost mean that quality isn’t as high as professional welding machines.
- Base material thickness: 1/4-inch
- Arc output: 200 amps
- Duty cycle: 30%
- True multi-process welder
- Preset synergic settings to make welding easier
- Use for all types of welding as well as cutting metal
- Quality could be better
Reason to buy this welder: If you’re looking for a good quality, reasonably priced MIG welder that also does TIG and stick welding, then the Hitbox 4-in-1 welder is an excellent choice
The Best MIG Welder to Buy
After reading this review, you may be wondering which the best MIG welder to buy online is. Our recommendation is the Hobart 500553 Handler. This welder has the best performance in the price range and consistently delivers excellent results. Its straightforward setup means that it is suitable for professionals and DIY enthusiasts. We also liked that it comes with long cables that make welding easier.
But suppose you want the best MIG welder and are on a tight budget. Or, you are just learning MIG welding. In that case, we recommend buying the Sungoldpower MIG welder. Although the build quality could be better, we found that it consistently produces a tidy finished weld. If you plan on welding occasionally, then you can’t go wrong with buying this model.